It is amazing what can change in a year in the life of a kid. Alex is so excited about Christmas this year! Last year, he did not show much excited until Christmas morning when he saw all the gifts he was getting! He keeps asking me if it is Christmas and the boys are always pointing out Christmas lights when we drive around at night! This is the first year that we have been faced with how to help Alex not be so selfish. Getting him thinking about others during the Christmas season and not just what he is getting under the tree. How does one get a four year old to think outside of himself. I do not believe that I am the first mom to ponder this question!
I have come to the conclusion that I am the biggest hurdle to help my kids think unselfishly. Not only does it take some brain work to think about Christmas season differently, but to follow through with it....I have found this to be an important step!
I had this great idea of counting down the 25 days of Christmas with Alex and everyday we would do something for Christmas. Encouraging counting and making Christmas more then just presents! What a great idea (not my own idea, I stole it from a blog I enjoy reading, Frugal Granola!) So I make 25 pieces of papers and I made a list of 25 things we could do
- Color a Christmas picture and give it to someone
- Make Christmas cookies
- Read the Christmas story
- Watch a Christmas movie
You get the point.
I think we make it to day 17 and I think we only did the first 3 things. I have done nothing since!!! So please pray for my children....let us hope they are more organized and undistracted then their mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment