Sunday, February 11, 2007

A mama's thoughts

My son is 6 months old. I can not believe that we have only had him for 6 months and that I have been a stay at home mom for 6 months. I have not worked outside the home for 6 months. I was joking with Dave the other day that I have spent more time in this apartment during the last 6 months than I did for a whole year in our old apartment! The time has flown and I have enjoyed it!!

I have been amazed thinking this week about what he as accomplished since he arrived.
1. He can stay awake for at least two hours at a time
2. Follows his older sibling (Mia, the family cat) around and just laughs when he sees her
3. Reconizes his name
4. He laughs
5. He holds his head up
6. He sits up
7. He has cut two teeth
8. He eats sweet potatos, apples, and peas.
9. He has already had a double ear infection
10. More then doubled his weight
No wonder he still sleep 14 hours a day. After accomplishing all this in only 6 months, I would be tired too.

How is his mama doing? Someone once told me that you find out how selfish you are when you get married. I think that I see more of my selfishness now that I am a mama. You know when you are pregnant you have dreams of what kind of mom you are going to be? Well I was not going to push my agenda onto my kids, I would follow their lead. Not going as planned. I can not count the times I have gotten frustrated when he wakes up before I am ready for him to, he wants to eat while I am in the middle of something or he just wants to play with me while I am trying to get something done. I can be so selfish with my time! And then the work God has had to do on my heart so that I can be proud of being a full-time mom. I have realized how much pride I take in my journey to becoming a counselor. I want to be known to the world as a professional counselor instead of being known by my son as a loving mom! Don't you worry, I am doing good and loving being a mom. I just know that I am not perfect and have a lot to learn about being a mom, a wife, and a friend.

I have included a couple of Alexander's 6 month pictures. I love them!

No comments: