Friday, February 19, 2010

Off to the Races

It is official, on May 15th I am going to run my first 5K!  I have planned on running several races throughout the past 10 years and never followed through.  I am planning on following through with this one (though I do believe that I planned on following through with the other ones also!), but I mean it this time!  What makes this one different?  Well let me bring you up to speed.  Bear with me for I have to go back about a year.

Last March I was in Indiana visiting family and hanging out with my cousin Kandice.  I knew that I wanted to spend some time with you because, one I love spending time with my cousin and two she was going to be leaving in a few days for a month of training before heading to the mission field.  Not even two week later i can not call from my mom that the Doctors think that she has breast cancer.  If my memory serves me right, by the end April my Cousin was diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer. Today, she continues to battle her  cancer and if you want to read more about her story you can go to her Caring Bridge page www.caringbridge.org/visit/rrobinson .  As I have watched her battle this past year I have been left with a feeling need to do something.  So when family stated talking about participating in the Race for the Cure in the Spring, I said “You Bet!”  Though I can not fight her battle for her, what I can do is do what i need to do to make myself healthier and raise money for cancer research.  If you are interested in helping to fight breast cancer, check out my page and join Team Robinson or donate (or just check out the page) I want to get a icon for this blog on my side bar so you can get to the page from this blog.  I have never done this before, so if any one out there knows how...let me know!!!

So I will be keeping you updated as I prepare to the race, I may need the accountability (for reasons previously stated!).  You may see some more info about  breast cancer in general in the future also.  I the best way to fight cancer is through education.  So do not be surprised if I educate you a little!!! 

No comments: