Friday, April 11, 2008

Spring Break - Day 1

Wheaton Academy had their spring break last week. I told Dave that I wanted to go somewhere warmer then Chicago!! So packed we packed up the car and headed to Lexington KY to visit my parents! All in all, I am not sure it was warmer down there....but I was good to see them. We drove down Wednesday and on Thursday, Dave and I left Alex with Grandma and spend the day together. I found a website that listed 70 free things to do in Lexington. So off we went to find our free things to do!
It was a rainy day. We headed downtown first and spent sometime looking for cheap parking before heading into the Victorian Square shops and found a great place to eat lunch. These shops are connected to the Rupp arena, so walked over there to see if we could get in to see it. But Bill Keightly had died and they were having a memorial for him in the Rupp Arena. He apparently had been part of their Athletic dept for years!! So we did not feel that it would be very respectful for two tourist (camera in hand) to wander into the service just to see the inside of the Arena.
So then we headed to the Old Kentucky Chocolate Factory for a free tour and free samples! Oh the Chocolate looked to good. I just want a little bit. It is a little dangerous to let a Pregnant women into a chocolate factory! This is were all the "covered things" get covered. She talked about their famous Burbon chocolate covered cherries. I did not partake in the sampling of those. Just did not sound very good! Can I just tell you how wonderful it smelled in there. Once the tour was over, we bought some chocolate covered pretzels to share with the family, ate a few more samples and off we went again.
This time to see the scenic view of Horse Country. My dad told us about a ferry a few miles out of town. On the way we passed several horse farms before finding the ferry. If you look at the picture carefully you can see the Captain, dressed up in his captain uniform! I heard that we visited the ferry on the correct day, for the ferry was closed the next day because of the weather. I guess if it rains to much or is to windy, they shut it down. I feel sorry for the people who live on the other side and have to find a different way across the river!. I did brave the weather a few times to get some picture of horses!
We then headed home to see our son! We missed him. More about the rest of the week later. I am off the make lunch.

1 comment:

Jerry & Charlotte said...

Your pictures look great. I really enjoyed my day with Alex. We should do it again sometime, when the weather is better.